Thursday, March 24, 2011

Raw 'n' Run

This past week, I've had a renewed zest for healthy food and fitness.  It all started when I picked up a copy of Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet.  The author outlines a diet centered around raw, plant-based foods.  The overall goal of the diet is to maintain a 20/80 ratio of acidic to alkaline foods.  She explains that an alkaline system is ideal for optimal health and disease prevention (she treated her cancer with this lifestyle).  I'm only a few chapters in, but so far it's making a lot of sense.  Her diet is a bit too extreme for me - she suggests a raw, vegan diet - but she has some very useful ideas nonetheless.

I've been majorly upping the greens this week, which means plenty of my favorite Green Monster smoothies, salads, and other concoctions.

The obligatory Naked Green Machine
Impressive numbers, huh?
Green smoothie from Berrybrook Farm.  Basically like a fresh version of the Green Machine.


And to prove I sometimes eat/drink while not behind the wheel...

Tilapia, lightly breaded and baked, with whole wheat couscous and steamed asparagus

In other news, I finally went to Inside Out Sports last week to have a running expert help me find the best type of shoes for my shin splint issues.  I spent about 30 minutes trying on different shoes and running on the treadmill in the store, and finally left with a pair of Asics and a long mental list of tips.

New kicks
I've never tried Asics before, so hopefully they will be my key to pain-free running.  So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment