Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Charleston Chow

Last weekend, I drove down to Charleston, SC, where I met up with my parents for what turned out to be a very rejuvenating mini vacation. 

We saw the sights...

Pineapple fountain on a waterfront park (pineapple=symbol of hospitality)

 One of the McMansions we saw on a mule-drawn carriage tour of the town

A vigilant feline

Spring has sprung on Magnolia Plantation

A walk on the Cooper River Bridge

Typical cobblestone street in town

Either they were nuzzling, or the one on the right has fleas

We filled up on the local chow...

My first-ever creme brulee - at Blossom

Lunch at High Cotton...

Black-eyed pea hummus


Grilled salmon salad
My mom's fish cakes & zucchini fries

Fro-yo at FreshBerry: FreshBerry tart with mango, strawberries, and shredded coconut

Huevos rancheros for breakfast at the Hominy Grill - this may have been my favorite meal of the trip (note to self: recreate at home)

I tried some of my mom's shrimp and grits - a classic of their low-country fare - and was impressed.  Sounds weird, looks mushy, tastes great!


Although we did indulge in some decadent eats this weekend, we also spent most of both days logging some serious miles by walking around Charleston and exploring the extensive gardens and swamps at Magnolia Plantation.  My dad and I also hit up the mini-gym at our hotel for some higher intensity exercise.

That stationary bike'll get your heart pumping!
All of the food was delectable and it was so nice to get to spend some QT with the parents.  We really packed a lot in over the weekend but I still felt refreshed and ready to start my week.

3 comments:

  1. the bits on those horses are fantastic, i can't believe you've never had creme brulee before [!], and i've never seen/ had huevos rancheros before but they look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want you to post more!!!

    ReplyDelete