Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Crunch Time

While waiting in line at Starbucks today, I was drawn to this jackpot clearance item:


A fancy box of Tazo tea... 6 teabags each of Zen, Awake, Passion, and Vanilla Rooibos.

It was time to get down to business.



At the moment, as you can see, I'm trying out Passion.  The disclaimer on the package reads, "True passion is intoxicating and invigorating, soothing and sensuous, mysterious and magical.  We just thought you should know what you're in for."  Clever.  It did not disappoint.

Apart from impulse purchases, the other item on today's agenda was homemade granola.  I roughly based my creation on a recipe from Whole Living for Granola Base.

3 cups oats
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
4 tbsp coconut
2 eggwhites
3/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup honey (plus a little extra - halving the recipe was tricky)
1/6 cup olive oil
3/4 cup dried cranberries


Preheat oven to 350.  Mix the oats, flaxseed, walnuts, and coconut in a mixing bowl.  Whisk the eggwhites and salt in another bowl until foamy, then add in the honey and olive oil.  Stir the eggwhite mixture into the oat mixture until the dry ingredients are uniformly moistened.

Spread in a lightly greased baking pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes.  After 10 and 15 minutes, stir the granola so it bakes evenly.  Remove when golden-brown.

I also let it sit in the warm oven (turned off) for a few extra minutes so it could dry out (I was eager).

When cool, stir in the cranberries.


I enjoyed a small cup of the granola as my dessert, and thought it tasted not unlike store-bought granola.  I thought the olive oil would ruin the taste but it didn't at all.  I'm pretty excited about this because there's usually some flavor in store-bought granola that I dislike (too often, it's the cinnamon and particular/too many nuts), but now I can customize it for myself.   

Almond milk action

No comments:

Post a Comment