Thursday, February 17, 2011

Healthi-fry

I'm back!  This week, it seems as though I've been more focused on getting to the gym after work and I've been putting the blog on the back burner.  I am happy to report, however, that my creativity in the kitchen has been going strong because I'm trying to cut down on grocery spending.  Example: Today's lunch included an almond butter and pear sandwich on a wheat sandwich thin, coupled with a container of plain yogurt topped with frozen blueberries, honey, and Fiber One cereal. 

Tonight, I tried to tackle the ever-popular task of making a "healthy" version of a comfort food.  On the menu: grilled cheese and French fries.

The Fries

Last week, I bought a butternut squash without a plan for what to do with it.  Having recently read about other bloggers using various vegetables to make fries, I attempted the same with my squash (after a quick google search of "butternut squash fries recipe" to verify that yes, someone had actually had success with it before). 

The Victim
First, preheat the oven to 425.  Peel a portion of the squash, then cut it into fry-like pieces.  Arranged them on a baking sheet, spray them with cooking spray, and sprinkle some salt and chili powder over them. 

After baking for about 25 minutes, I took them out because they'd started to burn. 


Now, they weren't crunchy for the most part.  I think I may need to cut larger fries so that they can get crispy without burning.  However, they tasted so good dipped in ketchup that I'd almost believe they were French fries (except for that slightly sweet flavor...).  I think the seasoning, as well, helped them masquerade as potatoes.   

The Grilled Cheese

Heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove.  Spread butter on two slices of bread (I used Ezekiel Sprouted 100% Whole Grain) and place the bread, butter side down, in the skillet.  Thinly slice about a quarter of a Granny Smith apple and arrange the slices on one of the pieces of bread.  Layer sliced cheddar cheese over the apple slices, and close the sandwich.  Allow it to cook on each side until the bread gets toasty and the cheese melts. 



No complaints here.  My only problem was that I only had a small piece of cheese left in the fridge so it wasn't quite as gooey as I'd like!  The tart apple added an interesting dynamic to the taste, while upping the nutritional value of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment